Tuesday, March 28, 2017

Reading Notes: Blackfeet Indian Stories, Part B

Bobcat and Birch Tree

The story did not go the way I expected; I thought the bobcat was going to kill the man. I thought he was going to get some punishment of sorts for tricking the prairie dogs. A story from their perspective would be interesting; I'd like to know why they weren't cautious of him or how they managed to do the trick with the fire.


I'm glad the old man got punished this time, though it was not an extreme punishment. I think it would be really interesting to have a story involving red eyes-- maybe a curse or something. I can try to figure out something that resembles the man's trick.


I am really curious about the son-in-law's character development. Why did he turn so selfish and mean? Was he tired of helping others? The story was really entertaining and I'm perplexed by the birth of the hero. "Blood Boy" sounds really intriguing and I think it'd be cool to be able to take that title and turn it into a story.

Prairie Dog. Source.

Bibliography. "Blackfeet Indian Stories" by Grinnell.

No comments:

Post a Comment