Monday, March 20, 2017

Reading Notes: Tales of North American Indians, Part A

The Jealous Uncle

I'm always thrown off by the stories where family members kill each other (or at least try to). In this story, it does not go into much detail behind the uncle's motives, so I could write about that. I could also write from the boy's perspective and run through his thoughts whenever he is trying to survive.


I would like to go more in-depth with how the characters treated Grouse; it mentions that they do not give him good food, but I would like to know more about the way they talk to him and such. I could make up a few scenarios that lead to Grouse coming up with their punishment.


I thought it was so strange that the mother never took care of him or acknowledged him until he was grown up and did certain tasks. I'd like to write about her thoughts and maybe go into detail about whether she cared for him or was apathetic as he grew up.

Blue Jay. Source.


Bibliography: "Tales of the North American Indians" by Stith Thompson (1929).

No comments:

Post a Comment