Saturday, April 1, 2017

Reading Notes: Ovid's Metamorphoses, Part A

Io

I've always been interested in the story of Io; I think it's very sad that such a thing had to happen to her. I think it'd be easy to retell the story and go more into her thoughts. I could describe her emotions-- how afraid she is, how dreadful the situation is, and how she feels whenever she returns to human form. It wouldn't be too difficult doing so and I think her perspective would be refreshing, since it doesn't go into a lot of detail about how she feels. It'd really be a rollercoaster of emotions, honestly!

Phaethon

This story always made me sad because the father's oath is what brought the downfall of his son. He never had bad intentions. I also think it would be cool to describe his father's feelings. From meeting his son to being happy enough to grant him anything, and then seeing the panic seep in when he realizes that he should not have said those words. Finally, it would end with how regretful he was and how sorrowful the death of his son would be.

I have always been fond of the whole "__ flew too close to the sun" line, as well! I also love the personification of the sun and earth.

Phaethon. Source

Bibliography. Ovid's Metamorphoses by Tony Kline.

No comments:

Post a Comment