Thursday, February 16, 2017

Week 5 Storytelling: Two Sides of the Same Coin

[ xviii. the moon. ]

( the sun and moon are one in the same. )

i. to the brightest sun,

you've always been the best, haven't you?
your heart always full of gold, your mind full of wonders.
there's brilliance in those eyes that no man could ever take away.

( in the darkness,
your eyes grow dim. )

when night falls, your smile follows it.
the heart of gold everyone speaks of has been long shattered;
it is only when you are alone that you allow it to continue breaking and breaking.
it's okay to be sad sometimes. with light, comes darkness.

ii. to the warmest sun,

you've always been the kindest, haven't you?
your arms open to the whole world, your hands offered to those who need it.
there's a sweet vulnerability that lies within you.

( in the darkness,
your heart grows cold and ruthless. )

when night falls, the facade disappears.
your kindness is genuine, but you tire of the constant selflessness;
your patience wears thin and the smiles become more forced.
you must take care of yourself, too. do not let others suffer, but do not let yourself suffer.

iii. to the rising sun,

you've always been the strongest, haven't you?
your chin held up high, your shoulders never low.
there's a courage in your veins that seeps throughout your body.

( in the darkness,
you crash and burn. )

when night falls, so do you.
your bones and shoulders ache from all the burdens that rest on them.
you must learn that sometimes,
it is okay to fall. you'll get back up one day.

iv. to the setting sun,

you've always been the most worthy, haven't you?
your promises never broken, your loyalties never doubted.
there's an unbreakable bond in your friendships.

( in the darkness,
you wonder when everyone will leave you. )

when night falls, the guilt seeps in.
sometimes, everything and everyone is too much.
you find yourself suffocating in the midst of it all, but you know they need you, so you stay.
you must allow yourself to breathe. 

v. to the darkest moon,

you've always been the loneliest, haven't you?
your features darkening when no one is around, your tears falling endlessly in the late hours.
there's a bitterness that lingers on the tip of your tongue.

( in the darkness,
you hide your face in shame, little moon. )

when night falls, every flaw comes out.
you've yet to learn that your weaknesses are only human; 
you've yet to realize that people find beauty in both the sun and the moon.
one day, you'll learn that people will love you regardless of your flaws and insecurities.


Sun and Moon by Michael Quinn. Source.

Author's Note: This story is based off "What Caused the Shadows on the Moon". The moon and sun were personified siblings that were beautiful and bright. However, as they grew, the moon often ventured off on his own. He eventually lost his sense of honor and duty; his adventures led him to see grotesque sights, so when he returned, he was impressed by his sister's beauty. He went to his mother and demanded to marry her; his mother denied his request and when his sister found out, she was so angry that she threw hot ash on his face. The ash left streaks on his face and made him pale, so he only showed his face at night. 

It was difficult finding inspiration from this; I ended up combining the moon and sun as one character. I didn't use their personalities from the original story, though. The sun represents the good qualities of a person, while the moon represents their hidden insecurities. I wanted to show how since the sun is always bright and out when everyone else is, a person would only show their good side. However, when the moon is out, everyone is usually sleeping, so that's when the flaws and insecurities come out. I wanted to tie into the original story by explaining that the moon was ugly in the original story, but in my story, the moon believed itself to be "ugly" and that's why it only came out at night.

Bibliography. "What Caused the Shadows on the Moon" by Mrs. K. U. Rafy.

6 comments:

  1. Wow! I really love your take on this. It's so relatable. It's like during the day, the sun is out and so is our best foot. I guess you can say we act as the sun when it's around, according to your story. But when the moon comes out, it's dark, so our inner moon and darkness comes out as well. I feel like most people thrive during the day and overthink things at night which leads to the thoughts of sadness and insecurity. I also really like how you made the sun and the moon one person. This was beautifully written!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I actually read most of this story before your introduction, and I can definitely tell that you have strong passion for writing. I love the style that you used in this story. I haven't read anyone's story with this style and I found that I really like it, very unique. What an amazing change in the original story, and your ability to use your imagination. I love the meaning behind this story as well, and I love the sun representing the good and the moon, the insecurities.
    Great job, I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Kaylen!

    Wow, I really enjoyed reading this story! Your writing style is so unique and I can tell you are passionate about writing. When I read your introduction, I wondered what an all lower case writing style would look like, and I have to say, I’m kind of in love! I loved you’re personification of the sun and the moon, and how it’s written very poetically and in poetic style.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have not read the original, but I really enjoyed reading your take on it. The way you describe everything is beautiful to read; I can imagine everything. Like I said on your intro, I’m a sucker for poetry, and this is perfect in every aspect. On another note, your page is designed very well. I love the color scheme!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your story this week was so beautiful. I think you did a wonderful job at adapting your source material. I know you didn’t use much from the original, but I could still see where you took inspiration from the story. I like how you set up your story and had each part represent different characteristics of a person. I also like how you split it into two subparts as well and had the beginning be what others saw, and the end be what the person really felt like. Overall great job!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi, Kaylen! This story/poem/work of art was absolutely beautiful. I really think that if you publish a book, this should definitely be in it. I loved how you made the sun and the moon one being, and I think that its personification was very relatable. Many people have this façade of being the happiest, strongest, warmest person during the day, but at night, their masks tend to wear off and insecurities begin to show. Great job overall with this story!

    ReplyDelete